Cancer patients and survivors come to yoga expecting yoga teachers to understand the benefits and risks specific to their needs. yoga4cancer Training Scholarships support yoga and wellness professionals who seek this necessary education to better serve the growing cancer community.
In 2020 the yoga4cancer Foundation is able to offer approximately $10,000 in scholarships for deserving yoga and healthcare professionals. These competitive scholarships are awarded based on the specific criteria and require the recipients to support underserved cancer survivors and help advocate for yoga interventions in the healthcare industry.
Our scholarship program is only possible due to the generous donations from our community, donors and corporate sponsors like lululemon’s HereToBe program. Without this support, providing programs and training to benefit cancer patients and survivors globally would not be possible. Together, we can help more survivors live longer, healthier and happier.
Who Should Apply?
Recipients of the Training Scholarship will be determined based on the criteria below, although it is not a requirement for each recipient to fulfill all of the below guidelines. Preference is made to support professionals locally per training location. Please read through the below criteria carefully and apply for a scholarship today!
- Trained yoga professionals preferably with at least 1 year of teaching experience.
- 200 hour yoga certifications are preferred but not mandatory.
- Trained yoga professionals who demonstrate a commitment to providing better support to cancer survivors within their community through yoga.
- Healthcare and wellness professionals motivated to integrate or apply the y4c methodology into their existing professional practice or field.
- Healthcare and wellness professionals who have not completed yoga teacher certification should exhibit a strong and long-standing personal yoga practice to best provide support for this work.
- Individuals who face financial challenges and seek assistance to afford training.
- Applicants should be motivated to encourage healthcare institutions, cancer centers, yoga studios and community centers to provide yoga programs specifically designed and supported by the y4c methodology to address the needs of cancer patients and survivors.
- Recipients of the Scholarship must be able to complete all 45 hours of the yoga4cancer Program in which they enroll.
- Recipients must commit to 1 program. Scholarships are not transferable to other program once scholarships have been declared.
- For programs that are location specific, applicants located closest to the program location are preferred and prioritized in order to support local communities and because the scholarship does not cover travel and accommodation costs. Applicants who are not local to the program location are encouraged to provide an explanation of program location choice and ability to travel.
- Recipients must be able to register and pay the remaining balance of the program after all applicable discounts have been applied (up to $495). Registration must be completed 1 week after acceptance of the scholarship. Travel and accommodation costs are not included in the cost of the program, nor covered by the training scholarship.
Current Scholarship Opportunities:
- Chicago Program Scholarship. Closed.
- Online Program Scholarship. Closed
- NYC Program Scholarship. Extended to March 6th.
- Amsterdam Program Scholarship. Extended to March 6th.
Guaranteed way to join!
Getting the certification and qualifications to teacher yoga to cancer survivors isn’t always affordable and can be daunting to most. Especially cancer survivors that are facing the costs of treatment or loss of income due to a diagnosis and treatments. We face the same challenges and we work hard to provide scholarships through fundraising and grants. BUT we also ask our community to do the same. Together we are better!
There is a guaranteed way to join us. Past and present students have used crowd-fundraising to successfully raise funds to participate in training programs. Often the funds are beyond any scholarship amount. Plus it creates awareness of your certification, attract future students, gain credibility with local hospitals and cancer centers so that ultimately your certification is being well used and recognized. Of course, this method takes a little more work and time but isn’t it worth it?!
yoga4cancer Foundation (previously operating under the name The Retreat Project): All donations & management of the yoga4cancer Scholarship Fund are administered through the Yoga 4 Cancer Foundation, Inc (VT registered 501c3 non profit).