Research and resources on both cancer and yoga are constantly evolving with both fields still in their infancy. So I encourage my students, both survivors and yoga practitioners, to embrace the curiosity that leads you to read this book. Continuously learn the facts, dispel myths, and gain knowledge to be truly compassionate to yourself or others.
To provide a comprehensive or timeless resource list would be impossible as research is actively being conducted and new findings identified on both cancer and yoga. So I am going to provide you a list of resources that I used to develop my methodology and that I consult daily. This is not an exhaustive list but I hope provides fuel for your curiosity.
One quick piece of advice. In my journey, I have encountered articles, research findings, and studies that were outstanding and intriguing. And potentially these could have led me down other paths. If I had not dug further into who was paying for the research or interrogated the hypothesis with an eye for fact-based information, I could have easily been mislead. I strongly urge you to use that curiosity to interrogate everything you read and find. Use the resources below to verify or challenge any learnings.
Cancer Resources and Support Information
- American Cancer Society: cancer.org
- National Cancer Institute: cancer.gov
- Cancer Research UK: cancerresearchuk.org
- PubMed.gov: US National Library of Medicine—The ultimate resource for the latest scientific fact based research.
- Breast Cancer Action: bcaction.org—Offers information, webinars, tools, and movements to end the breast cancer epidemic and improve the lives of those fighting it.
- Breastcancer.org—Latest research information, very helpful webinars/podcasts and other resources.
- National Lymphedema Network: lymphnet.org—Provides research, resources, support groups, and a network of professional massage and lymphedema specialists.
- Cure Magazine: curetoday.com—Interprets research and latest findings in a thoughtful and pragmatic way. Easier to read!
Cancer Advocacy Organizations
Yoga References and Publications
- International Association of Yoga Therapists (IAYT): iayt.org
- Sciatica.org—Research findings and news about yoga, osteoporosis, and other topics.
- Lilias! Yoga Gets Better With Age, Lilias Folan, Rodale, 2005
- OM Yoga: A Guide to Daily Practice, Cyndi Lee, Chronicle Books, 2002
- Science of Breath: A Practical Guide, Swami Rama, Rudolph Ballentine, M.D., Alan Hymes, M.D., The Himalayan Institute Press, 1979
- The Breathing Book, Donna Farhi, Owl Books, Henry Holt & Co., 1996
- The Woman’s Book of Yoga & Health, Linda Sparrowe, Shambhala Publications, 2002
- Yoga for Wellness, Gary Kraftsow, Penguin Compass,1999
- 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For beginning students and their teachers, Judith Lasater, Ph.D., P.T., Rodmell Press, 2003