Welcome to the yoga4cancer Teacher Training Portal. There are several yoga teacher training options available across the Globe in 2018:
- Online + Weekend Program – 45 hrs
- Intensive 5 Day Program – 45 hrs
- Introduction Workshop – 3 hour – Open to cancer survivors and yoga & wellness professionals.
ABOUT yoga4cancer TEACHER TRAINING
Yoga is an obvious step for cancer patients and survivors coping with difficult treatments and ongoing side effects. Doctors are now recommending yoga as a way to manage anxiety and overall wellness. In 2012, the American Cancer Society recommended up to 150 minutes of exercise per week – explicitly mentioning yoga – to reduce chance of cancer or defend against reoccurrence. So more and more cancer survivors are coming to yoga classes to gain these benefits.
But not all yoga is the same and for cancer survivors the needs are different. True compassion flows from knowledge and facts. Without specific training, a teacher is not equipped to understand the unique physical and emotional needs and challenges of those touched by cancer. And cancer survivors come with higher expectations. The y4c training will provide you the knowledge and facts to work with this community.
You will learn:
✔ The physics and physiology of yoga
✔ Facts about cancer, cancer treatments and side effects
✔ Appropriate and inappropriate poses
✔ Creating a healing community and class
✔ Hands on supervised teaching
The y4c methodology and training is not yoga for one-size-fits-all. Nor is it just a gentle yoga class. It is a specialized training for experienced teachers seeking to learn how to design a healing class for survivors at all stages of their cancer journey. We focus on providing scientific facts and tools so that yoga teachers can addresses specific physical conditions, inspire hope, invite curiosity and give emotional support through a fun and nurturing community.
The y4c methodology was designed and tested by Tari Prinster – cancer survivor, author and yoga guru. Through her own recovery, regular classes in New York City and retreats over the past decade, Tari designed and modified her vinyasa training to witness results in the thousands of cancer survivors. Since 2005, Tari has looked to help other compassionate yoga teachers from all over the world to develop their knowledge and skills. As of today, she has trained over 1,800 yoga teachers and wellness professionals. The science-based training will provide tools and insight on how to adapt all yoga styles and poses to fit the specific physical and emotional needs of this community.
Past students love it!
- 99% satisfaction reported from past students.
- 98% of students would recommend training to a friend or colleague
- Significant improvement in comprehension of key concepts (science of yoga, cancer & its treatment, appropriate poses, the immune system & yoga, etc)
- See the latest survey results: click here.
Who should take this?
- Yoga Professionals: We recommend y4c trainings for certified experienced yoga teacher at the 200 hour level from any lineage. We do recommend that participants have been teaching for more than 1 year to get the most out of the program.
- Oncology Professionals: About 30% of our trainings are for oncology and healthcare professionals that have a personal yoga practice and believe yoga can and should play a larger role in the Oncology & Cancer Centers. Approval of application is required.
- Other Wellness & Physical Therapist Professionals: Such as physical therapist, social workers, massage therapists, pilates instructors etc. We do need a good level of yoga experience. These need to be approved prior to the training. Approval of application is required.
What is the difference in the program formats?
Both the Online + Weekend format and the Weekend Intensive cover the same material and follow the same curriculum. Graduates of both programs become certified yoga4cancer trained teachers.
The primary difference is the style of learning. The Online + Weekend is an 8 week program with 60% of the materials delivered in an online format through reading, assignments, videos, webinars and quizzes. Then culminating in a Weekend Intensive where all students can put the theory and science they have learned into practice with the supervision of Tari and / or other Senior yoga4cancer teachers. Whereas in the Weekend Intensive, its delivered through long lectures and days in a class room over 5 days. We have found that comprehension & satisfaction in the Online+Weekend format is better as people are able to integrate into existing teaching and absorb content more effectively. But ultimately a preference is based on how individuals learn and we suggest each to evaluate the programs based on this.
All participants that successfully complete the training will be provide y4c certification and be provided the opportunity to be listed on the y4c trained teachers website.
The y4c Intensive and Online+Weekend Teacher Training programs provide Registered Yoga Teachers (RYT) with post-certificate continuing education credits. Upon completion the program, yoga teachers may submit 45 hours of post-certificate continuing education.
Additionally, we are actively applying for other CEU certification with other professional boards (e.g. Physical Therapists & Social Workers). More information to be provide upon completion of the course.
MEDICAL DISCLAIMER: Our programs are educational purposes and are not to be mistaken for long-term therapy or cure. Some people may find some programs to be too psychologically or physically challenging. We recommend that you consult a physician or trusted counselor if you have any doubt.