ABOUT yoga4cancer TEACHER TRAINING
Yoga is an obvious step for cancer patients and survivors coping with difficult treatments and ongoing side effects. Doctors are now recommending yoga as a way to manage anxiety and overall wellness. In 2012, the American Cancer Society recommended up to 150 minutes of exercise per week – explicitly mentioning yoga – to reduce chance of cancer or defend against reoccurrence. So more and more cancer survivors are coming to yoga classes to gain these benefits.
But not all yoga is the same and for cancer survivors the needs are different. True compassion flows from knowledge and facts. Without specific training, a teacher is not equipped to understand the unique physical and emotional needs and challenges of those touched by cancer. And cancer survivors come with higher expectations. The y4c training will provide you the knowledge and facts to work with this community.
You will learn:
✔ The physics and physiology of yoga
✔ Facts about cancer, cancer treatments and side effects
✔ Appropriate and inappropriate poses
✔ Creating a healing community and class
✔ Hands on supervised teaching
The y4c methodology and training is not yoga for one-size-fits-all. Nor is it just a gentle yoga class. It is a specialized training for experienced teachers seeking to learn how to design a healing class for survivors at all stages of their cancer journey. We focus on providing scientific facts and tools so that yoga teachers can addresses specific physical conditions, inspire hope, invite curiosity and give emotional support through a fun and nurturing community.
The y4c methodology was designed and tested by Tari Prinster – cancer survivor, author and yoga guru. Through her own recovery, regular classes in New York City and retreats over the past decade, Tari designed and modified her vinyasa training to witness results in the thousands of cancer survivors. Since 2005, Tari has looked to help other compassionate yoga teachers from all over the world to develop their knowledge and skills. As of today, she has trained over 1,800 yoga teachers. The science-based training will provide tools and insight on how to adapt all yoga styles and poses to fit the specific physical and emotional needs of this community.
Past students love it! Surveys over the past years have shown:
- 98% satisfaction reported from past students.
- 99.1% of students would recommend training to a friend or colleague
- Significant improvement in comprehension of key concepts (science of yoga, cancer & its treatment, appropriate poses, the immune system & yoga, etc)
- For selection of testimonials, please click here.
Who should take this?
- Yoga Professionals: We recommend y4c trainings for certified experienced yoga teacher at the 200 hour level from any lineage. We do recommend that participants have been teaching for more than 1 year to get the most out of the program.
- Oncology Professionals: About 30% of our trainings are for oncology and healthcare professionals that have a personal yoga practice and believe yoga can and should play a larger role in the Oncology & Cancer Centers. Approval of application is required.
- Other Wellness & Physical Therapist Professionals: Such as physical therapist, social workers, massage therapists, pilates instructors etc. We do need a good level of yoga experience. These need to be approved prior to the training. Approval of application is required.
All participants that successfully complete the training will be provide y4c certification and be provided the opportunity to be listed on the y4c trained teachers website.
The y4c Intensive and Online+Weekend Teacher Training programs provide Registered Yoga Teachers (RYT) with post-certificate continuing education credits. Upon completion the program, yoga teachers may submit 45 hours of post-certificate continuing education.
Additionally, we are actively applying for other CEU certification with other professional boards (e.g. Physical Therapists & Social Workers). More information to be provide upon completion of the course.
In 2015, yoga4cancer launched the first ever Online+Weekend Teacher Training program. This hybrid program utilized technology and self-study whilst retaining the hands-on supervised training that Tari and her team have used over the past decade to train over 1,800 yoga teachers and other compassionate professionals. Over 250 people have taken this training in the past 18 months and have reported extraordinarily high satisfaction. Details of the program include:
- 45 hour training over 10 weeks concluding in a Weekend Intensive. The breakdown of the hours are:
- 29 hours of Online & Distance learning
- 16 hours of face to face practicum @ the Weekend Intensive.
- Go at your own pace distance learning. Suggested 4-5 hours per week of distance learning includes videos, readings, quizzes, webinars, assignments and more. Full curriculum. However, the program is a ‘do at your own pace’ to enable you to manage your own learning process.
- Includes a 150 page manual including the latest research on yoga & cancer, guidance on poses, teaching tools and much more. Printing costs not included.
- Ongoing support by Tari & y4c trained teachers
- Recommended reading: Tari’s Yoga for Cancer book.
- Technical requirements: Computer with high speed internet is required. Access from tablets (Ipads) and smart phones is possible but not recommended.
- Certification: All graduates will be awarded a y4c certificate and will be offered the chance to be listed on the y4c trained teacher register. The program is certified with Yoga Alliance and graduates can apply for CEU credits.
- Locations & Dates: In convenient locations across the US. Latest schedule.
- Weekend Intensive: Hours of participations is based on your desired location & timing but is required for all students. Sample Weekend Schedule.
- Introductory pricing will start at $895. Early Booking discounts of $100 OFF may apply.
2018 Schedule: Click to see where you can join us!
Sample Module & Video
To help students understand the online learning experience, all registered users can sample Module#1: Introduction of the online training. Please note that access to other sections of the teacher training portal and online system will not be accessible until the course has been fully paid.
MEDICAL DISCLAIMER: Our programs are educational purposes and are not to be mistaken for long-term therapy or cure. Some people may find some programs to be too psychologically or physically challenging. We recommend that you consult a physician or trusted counselor if you have any doubt.