Registration now open!
Yoga is an obvious step for cancer patients and survivors coping with difficult treatments and ongoing side effects. Doctors are now recommending yoga as a way to manage anxiety and overall wellness. In 2012, the American Cancer Society recommended up to 150 minutes of exercise per week – explicitly mentioning yoga – to reduce chance of cancer or defend against reoccurrence. So more and more cancer survivors are coming to yoga classes to gain these benefits.
But not all yoga is the same and for cancer survivors the needs are different. True compassion flows from knowledge and facts. Without specific training, a teacher is not equipped to understand the unique physical and emotional needs and challenges of those touched by cancer. And cancer survivors come with higher expectations. The y4c training will provide you the knowledge and facts to work with this community.
You will learn:
✔ The physics and physiology of yoga
✔ Facts about cancer, cancer treatments and side effects
✔ Appropriate and inappropriate poses
✔ Creating a healing community and class
✔ Hands on supervised teaching
The y4c methodology and training is not yoga for one-size-fits-all. Nor is it just a gentle yoga class. It is a specialized training for experienced teachers seeking to learn how to design a healing class for survivors at all stages of their cancer journey. We focus on providing scientific facts and tools so that yoga teachers can addresses specific physical conditions, inspire hope, invite curiosity and give emotional support through a fun and nurturing community.
The y4c methodology was designed and tested by Tari Prinster – cancer survivor, author and yoga guru. Through her own recovery, regular classes in New York City and retreats over the past decade, Tari designed and modified her vinyasa training to witness results in the thousands of cancer survivors. Since 2005, Tari has looked to help other compassionate yoga teachers from all over the world to develop their knowledge and skills. As of today, she has trained over 1,800 yoga teachers. The science-based training will provide tools and insight on how to adapt all yoga styles and poses to fit the specific physical and emotional needs of this community.
About yoga4cancer Online+Weekend Program
yoga4cancer offers an adaptable, highly recommended, learning program through the Online+Weekend Teacher Training program. This hybrid program utilized technology and self-study whilst retaining the hands-on supervised training that Tari and her team. Over 350 compassionate, motivated yoga and wellness professionals have completed this program format since the launch in 2015. And the feedback on the program has been amazing with over 99% satisfaction. Read more here.
- 45 hour training over 10 week period. Includes:
- 31 hours of distance & online learning
- 14 hours of face to face practicum in a Weekend Intensive
- ‘Do it at your own pace’ online study: 5-7 hours of online learning per week including videos, reading, quizzes, webinars, assignments and more.
- Receive a 150 page digital manual including content, research and advice. Printing costs not included. Additional recommended reading: Tari’s Yoga for Cancer book.
- Support from Tari, program mentor and other y4c trained teachers.
- Technical requirements: Computer with high speed internet required.
- Location: Bowery Yoga, 302 Bowery #3 (Houston & 1st St) NYC
- Online Training begins April 9th
- Weekend Schedule: June 8-10th
- Friday: 2 pm – 6 pm
- Saturday: 9 am – 3 pm
- Sunday: 9 am – 3 pm
- All sessions includes breaks. Specific Details about the weekend will be provided before arrival.
- Scholarships: Now closed.
- Tuition Fee: $895
- Early Bird Discount through March 9th – $795.
For full terms and conditions, please click here.
Who should take this?
- Yoga Professionals: We recommend y4c trainings for certified experienced yoga teacher at the 200 hour level from any lineage. We do recommend that participants have been teaching for more than 1 year to get the most out of the program.
- Oncology Professionals: About 30% of our trainings are for oncology and healthcare professionals that have a personal yoga practice and believe yoga can and should play a larger role in the Oncology & Cancer Centers. Approval of application is required.
- Other Wellness & Physical Therapist Professionals: Such as physical therapist, social workers, massage therapists, pilates instructors etc. We do need a good level of yoga experience. These need to be approved prior to the training. Approval of application is required.
All participants that successfully complete the training will be provide y4c certification and be provided the opportunity to be listed on the y4c trained teachers website. Yoga Alliance CEU credits are awarded based on length of any of the training. These credits are applicable to most +300 to 500 advanced teacher trainings.
Want to experience the Online Learning System before committing? Want to learn more about Tari and the yoga4cancer method? Please do! Click here to try it out today.
Post certification surveys have shown:
- 100% satisfaction
- 100% likely to recommend
- Significant improvement in comprehension of key concepts (science of yoga, cancer & its treatment, appropriate poses, the immune system & yoga, etc)
- For 2017 full survey results, see here.
Online+Weekend Program Registration:
- Already registered? Please log in at the top left of this page.
- If you have not registered yet, please do so. It is a fast and easy and plus it will enable you to better manage your learning experience, gain access to exclusive content, get discounts and scholarships and, in the future, connect you with cancer survivors & patients everywhere. Register here and return to this page.
The y4c Teacher Training contains text, graphics, images, and other content (collectively “Content”), which are for informational purposes only. Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. A qualified health care professional should be consulted for medical advice and answers to personal health questions. This y4c Teacher Training Program does not constitute an attempt to practice medicine.