UPDATE on 2021 Scholarships:
We are actively working on funding 2021 Scholarships. We do not have any details or applications to provide at this point. Please review the below to evaluate if you are applicable. Note: historically we are only able to offer 10% of all applicants support. We encourage everyone to explore alternative fundraising options.
Thanks to our generous partners at HereToBe (Lululemon’s non-profit organization) we are able to provide 5 additional scholarships for participants in our Winter session. This is on top of the existing 14 scholarships already awarded in 2020 by the yoga4cancer Foundation.
Here to Be is lululemon’s social impact program. Together with our partners, we disrupt inequity in wellbeing through movement, mindfulness, and advocacy.
Who Should Apply?
Our Winter 2020 Scholarships are available to select yoga and healthcare professionals that want to disrupt the inequity in cancer care.
The scholarship equals up to $500 per recipient which is 60% of the total cost of the training. These competitive scholarships are awarded based on the specific criteria and require the recipients to support underserved cancer survivors and help advocate for yoga interventions in the healthcare industry.
Recipients of the Scholarship will be determined based on the criteria below, although it is not a requirement for each recipient to fulfill all of the below guidelines. Please read through the below criteria carefully and apply for a scholarship if you believe you are a good candidate:
- EITHER: a trained yoga professional preferably with at least 1 year of teaching experience. A 200 hour yoga certification is preferred but not mandatory.
- OR: healthcare and wellness professionals motivated to integrate or apply the y4c methodology into their existing professional practice or field. Healthcare and wellness professionals who have not completed yoga teacher certification should exhibit a strong and long-standing personal yoga practice to best provide support for this work.
- Individuals must demonstrate a commitment to providing support to cancer survivors within their community through yoga.
- Individuals who face financial challenges and seek assistance to afford training.
- Applicants should be motivated to encourage healthcare institutions, cancer centers, yoga studios and community centers to provide yoga programs specifically designed and supported by the y4c methodology to address the needs of cancer patients and survivors.
- Recipients of the Scholarship must be able to complete all 45 hours of the yoga4cancer Program by the required completion date of the program.
- Applicants must accept the technical and program requirements of the program – explicitly the online learning and technology requirements.
- Applicants who are selected must respond to their acceptance letters within 1 week of receiving notification of their acceptance.
- Recipients must be able to register and pay the remaining tuition of the program after all applicable discounts have been applied (total amount due up to $495).
- Program registration must be completed 1 week after acceptance of the scholarship. Failure to register could mean the loss of the scholarship.
- All other costs – technology, yoga supplies and travel or accommodation costs – are not included in the cost of the program, nor covered by the training scholarship.
Online Certificate Program
Due to Covid-19, we only have one program for certification in 2020. This 45 hour program is delivered through videos, reading, quizzes, webinars, assignments, group forum, mentor support and teaching practicum submissions. The program has requirements for online learning, wifi and computer access. Please review all details of the program prior to application here.
In 2020 through our partners – like lululemon – and our individual donors (many of you), we were able to provide $16,000 in scholarships in 2020 to 23 individuals. That was nearly double compared to prior years due to fundraising and grant support. We are grateful and humbled by their support.
However, sadly, this increase only covers a small portion of those that request financial support.
We rely on financial support to provide scholarships and support to low income and vulnerable populations. We ask for our community to contribute as much as possible. Please consider donating or support via a crowd-fundraising campaign.
Donate or engage your community today here.
All donations & management of the Scholarship are administered through the yoga4cancer Foundation.
A guaranteed way to join!
Getting the certification and qualifications to teacher yoga to cancer survivors isn’t always affordable. We know for many of our community the costs are daunting. Also, we know for many of our trained teachers setting up a class can be expensive. We face the same challenges and we work hard to provide scholarships through fundraising and grants. BUT we also ask our community to do the same. Together we are better!
Past and present students have used crowd-fundraising to successfully raise funds to participate in training programs. Its guaranteed success if you put the work and due diligence in. Plus it creates awareness of your certification, attract future students, get visibility with local hospitals and cancer centers so that ultimately your certification is being well used and rewarded.