the body – mind – soul of a cancer survivor:
An introduction to teaching cancer survivors with Tari Prinster, Rita Trieger, and Antonio Sausys
Date: December 8
Time: 2:00pm – 5:00pm
Location: PURE Yoga West
Sign up: HERE
Once you have been diagnosed with cancer, your life changes. Your body
& physical needs change from the cancer and its treatments. The feeling of
impermanence and physical loss of control is compounded by new and bewildering
emotions. Treatment side effects are impossible to predict and difficult to
manage. Often the unanticipated feeling of isolation from your family, friends
and community is painful. Cancer changes your life creating new physical and
Three master teachers have combined their 30+ years of work in yoga for cancer survivors to offer an introduction to this specialized yoga practice. This session will open your eyes to why teaching those with cancer require a different approach and provide some basic understanding. The workshop will include:
- Explanation of why teaching yoga to cancer survivors different. Along with factsabout cancer & its treatments.
- Key asanas to avoid with cancer patients or survivors and required modifications & other warnings.
- Techniques that help patients developing selfawareness and empowerment.
- Identify how yoga can provide coping skills to form a more positive dialogue with the body
- Class structures, personal meditations and special celebrations that are essential to a yoga teacher’s role in providing physical & emotional support. And building community, camaraderie and trust.
$50 for 3 hour workshop
$45 for PURE members
$35 for y4c graduates
Recommended for + 200hr yoga teachers. Other trained or medical professionals and caregivers.
Space limited. Book early HERE!
Tari Prinster is a cancer survivor and yoga teacher since 2003. She is the Founder of y4c and the Retreat Project (nonprofit). Previously, she was Director and Principle Teacher of OM Yoga Women Cancer Survivors Program, NYC. She is a regular presenter at Yoga Journal Conferences and was featured in the film YOGAWOMAN, released 2011.
Rita Trieger is the former editor-in-chief of Fit Yoga magazine, and the author of Yoga Heals Your Back (Fairwinds, 2005); she teaches yoga therapy for both cancer and heart patients at Stamford Hospital, in Stamford Connecticut.
Antonio Sausys (B.A. Psychology, M.A. body-oriented Psychotherapy) is a somatic health practitioner and yoga professor specializing in one-on-one yoga therapy for people with medical and emotional conditions, both chronic and acute.